| Alien Registration
All foreigners who stay more than 90 days in Japan need to apply for an alien registration card at the local municipal office within the first 90 days of their stay. The alien registration card will be issued the next business day following the completion of the application process. This card is required to open bank accounts, obtain a driver's license and to apply for other official documents. You must carry your alien registration card with you at all times.
Documents required for alien registration
- Alien Registration Application Form (available at local municipal office)
- Two passport-type photos (45 mm_35mm) taken within the last 6 months (Not required for foreign nationals below 16 years of age).
Foreigners under the following circumstances are not required to register:
- Stay in Japan is less than 90 days.
- Newborn of foreign parents who stay in Japan for less than 60 days. If the period of stay exceeds 60 days, newborn must be registered.
- Diplomatic status or official resident permit. In the latter case, in case the permit is revoked, registration is required.
U.S. military personnel based in Japan, or soldiers and civilian employees of the United Nations.